The Increasing Learning Gap! What’s Wrong With Our Academic Framework
Have you ever wondered why kids who performed well in their junior school struggle to learn when they go to higher grades? Of course, we ourselves might have experienced this difficulty or witnessed the same among our students.
We, at MySchoolPage, found that almost all students have a really good learning potential and can easily learn new skills required for a successful career. But they always find it hard to learn their regular lessons, especially in their senior classes.
We made a detailed study of the different standardized, national and international curriculums in existence today and found a few aspects that were commonly creating learning difficulties for many students. Here’s what we found in our study.
Rapid increment in subject volume
The volume of the syllabus for each subject rapidly doubles in higher grades. Students who are used to learning a particular number of chapters, suddenly get overloaded with more academic work.
- As the students advance to grade 9, 10, and above, the volume of the syllabus vastly increases.
- They start learning 40+ chapters altogether, while they had to take only less number of lessons under each subject during the previous year.
- The continuity of different theories and concepts were also missing between the different grades. Students learned advanced concepts in a subject, but only after passing through another grade with a different syllabus.
- Every student has a different learning phase and skillset. But the mass-learning culture in schools couldn’t address the individual learning requirements and difficulties they face.
Absence of proper chapter-time mapping
The volume of the syllabus and the number of units in a subject doubles. But, schools still follow the same learning time-table and try to fit in the vast syllabus within the set timetable.
- Students get to spend 5 to 6 hours at school every day, listening to their daily lessons and building their academic knowledge in physics, math, chemistry, and other subjects.
- As they go to higher grades the weightage of lessons and the syllabus increases, but students get the same 5 to 6 learning hours.
- The vast syllabus and lesson plans are squeezed to fit into the regular school timetable and this will make the students feel rushed through the lessons over time.
- Students don’t get enough time to learn each chapter from the fundamentals and end up skipping some topics, which may affect their academic grades.
Lack of proper understanding on fundamentals
The lack of personal attention and rush to complete a chapter within the set time limit might keep the students from understanding the fundamentals of their advanced lessons.
- The discontinuity in the syllabus, lack of proper learning timeline, and the psychological stress factors that students face in their environment will often lead to poor academic progress.
- Students might forget their fundamentals or don’t gain a clear understanding of the same, which might, in turn, create major learning difficulties for them.
- Lack of fundamental knowledge will take a toll on their academic performance and thereby affect their overall grades in important board/competitive exams.
Overcoming the limitation
It’s time for us to analyze our students’ requirements and difficulties in person, rather than worrying and stressing over their poor academic progress.
- Enough online learning support, like personalized online tuition classes, can be given to help students learn at their own pace.
- They must be given enough time to practise the particular topics and chapters they find difficult to grasp.
- Students must be encouraged to start early. They can start learning the fundamentals through online bridge course programs and be well prepared for the advanced lessons at school.
- They can be encouraged to self-learn and enjoy their learning by providing personalized lesson plans.
- Their online activity and screen time can be streamlined using effective and immersive online tuition classes.
Do you have any ideas to motivate and help our young learners overcome their learning difficulties? Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below…
MySchoolPage provides personalized online tuition for all subjects and curriculums. Join us to explore a new interactive learning environment and score high in your exams with our personalized training.