Reaching the Age of Adolescence
1. What is the term used for secretions of endocrine glands responsible for changes taking place in the body?
2. Define adolescence.
3. What is menstruation? Explain.
4. List changes in the body that take place at puberty.
5. Prepare a table having two columns depicting names of endocrine glands and hormones secreted by them.
6. What are sex hormones? Why are they named so? State their function.
7. Choose the correct option.
(a) Adolescents should be careful about what they eat, because
(i) Proper diet develops their brains.
(ii) Proper diet is needed for the rapid growth taking place in their body.
(iii) Adolescents feel hungry all the time.
(iv) Taste buds are well developed in teenagers.
(b) Reproductive age in women starts when their
(i) Menstruation start.
(ii) Breast start developing
(iii) Body weight increases
(iv) Height increases.
(c) The right meal for adolescents consist of
(i) Chips, noodles, coke.
(ii) Chapatti, dal, vegetables.
(iii) Rice, noodles and burger.
(iv) Vegetables cutlets, chips and lemon drink.
8. Write notes on-
(a) Adam’s apple.
(b) Secondary sexual charecters.
(c) Sex determination in unborn baby.
9. Word game: use the clues to work out the words.
3. Protruding voice box in boys
4. Glands without ducts
7. Endocrine gland attached to brain
8. Secretion of endocrine glands
9. Pancreatic hormone
10. Female hormone
1. Male hormone
2. Secretes thyroxin
3. Another term for teenage
5. Hormone reaches here through blood stream
7. Term for changes at adolescence
10. The table below shows the data on likely height of boys and girls as they grow in age. Draw graphs showing height and age for both boys and girls on the same graph paper. What conclusions can be drawn from these graphs?