Winds Storms and Cyclones
1. Fill the missing word in the blank spaces in the following statements:
(a) Wind is ——– air.
(b) Winds are generated due to ——– heating.
(c) Near the earth’s surface ——— air rises up whereas ——- air comes down.
(d) Air moves from a region of ——- pressure to a region of ——- pressure.
2. Suggest two methods to find out wind direction at given place.
3. State two experiences that made you think that air exerts pressure (other than given in the text).
4. You want to buy a house. Would you like to buy a house having windows but not ventilators? Explain answer.
5. Explain why holes are made in hanging banners and hoardings.
6. How will you help your neighbors in case cyclone approaches your village/town?
7. What panning is required in advance to deal with the situation created by a cyclone?
8. Which one of the following is unlikely to be affected by a cyclone?
9. Which of the statements given below is correct?
(i) In winter the winds flow from the land to the ocean.
(ii) In summer the winds flow from the land towards the ocean.
(iii) A cyclone is formed by a very high-speed winds revolving around it.
(iv) The coastline of India is not vulnerable to cyclones.