Weather Climate and Adaptations of Animals
1. Name the elements that determine the weather of a place.
2. When are the maximum and minimum temperatures likely to occur during day?
3. Fill in the blanks:
(a) The average weather taken over a long time is called——–
(b) The place receives very little rainfall and the temperature is high throughout the year, the climate of that place will be—————and———–.
4. Indicate the type of climate of the following areas;
(a) Jammu and Kashmir: ——-
(b) Kerala: —–
(c) Rajasthan: ——-
(d) North-east India: ——
5. Which of the two changes frequently, weather or climate?
6. Following are some of the characteristics of animals:
(i) Diets heavy on fruits.
(ii) White fur
(iii) Need to migrate
(iv) Loud voice
(v) Sticky pad on feet.
(vi) Layer of fat under skin
(vii) Wide and large paws.
(viii) Bright colour
(ix) Strong tails
(x) Long and large beak.
For each of the following indicate whether it is adaptation for tropical rainforest or polar region.
7. The tropical rain forest has large population of animals. Explain why it is so.
8. Explain, with examples, why we find animals of certain kind living in particular climatic conditions.
9. How do elephant living in the tropical rainforest adapt itself?
Choose the correct option which answers the following question:
10. A carnivore with strips on its body moves very fast while catching its prey. It is likely to be found in
(i) Polar regions (ii) deserts
(iii) Oceans (iv) tropical rainforests
11. Which features adapt polar bears to live in extremely cold climate?
(i) A white fur, fat below skin, keen sense of smell.
(ii) Thin skin, large eyes, a white fur.
(iii) A long tail, strong claws, white large paws.
(iv) White body.
12. Which option best describe a tropical region?
(i) Hot and humid.
(ii) Moderate temperature, heavy rainfall.
(iii) Cold and humid.
(iv) Hot and dry.