1. The elements that determine the weather are temperature, rainfall and humidity.
2. The maximum temperature of the day occurs generally in the afternoon and minimum temperature occurs generally in early morning.
3. Fill in the blanks:
(a) The average weather taken over a long time is called climate.
(b) The place receives very little rainfall and the temperature is high throughout the year, the climate of that place will be hot and dry.
(c) The region two regions of the earth with extreme climatic conditions are pole and desert.
4. (a) Cold and wet.
(b) Hot ans wet
(c) Hot and dry
(d) Hot and wet.
6. (i) Tropical
7. Because of continuous warmth and rain, this region supports wide variety of plants and animals.
8. The organisms interact with the environment to survive. So, it is necessary for the organism to have characteristics that suits the environment.
Polar bears have white fur so that they are not easily visible in the snowy background. It protects them from their predators. It also helps them in catching prey. The thick layer of fur and fat deposit inside the skin insulate them to survive in cold climate.
Physical activities on warm days necessitate cooling. So, the polar bear goes for swimming. It is a good swimmer. Its paws are wide ans large, which help not only to swim well but also walk with ease in the snow.
9. The elephant has adapted to the conditions of rainforests in many remarkable ways. It uses the trunk as a nose because of which it has as strong sense of smell. The trunk is also used by it for picking up food. Moreover, its tusks are modified teeth. These can tear the bark of trees that elephant love to eat. So, elephant is able to handle the competition for food rather well. Large ears of elephant help it to hear even soft They also help the elephant to keep cool in the hot humid climate of the rain forest.
10. (iv) tropical rainforests.
11. (i) a white fur, fat below skin, keen sense of smell.
12. (i) hot humid.