1. (a) T
2. The rainwater and water from other sources such as rivers and ponds seeps through the soil and fills the empty spaces and craks deep below the ground. The process of seeping of water into the ground is called infiltration. Groundwater thus gets recharged by this process.
3. The water table will deplete. Time will come when water table below the pipe of the tubewell. No water will be fetched by these tubewells any more.
4. (i) by collecting rain water.
(ii) by using water after bath or washing utensils for watering the garden.
5. The main causes of depletion of water table are:
(i) Increasing population:- Increasing population creates demand for construction of houses, shops, offies, roads and pavements. More water is required to fulfill the demands of these population.
(ii) Increasing industries:- Water is used by all the industries. Almost everything that we use needs water somewhere in its productin process. The water used by industries are drawn from the ground.
(iii) Agricultural activities:- Irrigation of crops require huge amount of water. Most of the farmers use groundwater form irrigation using tubewells. Population pressure on agriculture forces increasing use of groundwater day by day. This results in depletion of water table.
6. Fill in the blanks.
(a) People obtain groundwater through well and hand pump.
(b) Three forms of water are ice, water and water vapour.
(c) The water bearing layer of the earth is aquifer.
(d) The process of water seepage into the ground is called infiltration.
7. (iii) Heavy rain.
8. (iv) Of the world remains constant.