Sources of Energy
1. A solar water heater cannot be used to get hot water on
(a) a sunny day (b) a cloudy day.
(c) a hot day (d) a windy day.
2. Which of the following is not an example of a bio-mass energy?
(a) wood (b) gobar-gas
(c) nuclear energy (d) coal
3. Most of the sources of energy we use represent stored solar energy. Which of the following is not ultimately derived from the Sun’s energy?
(a) geothermal energy
(b) wind energy
(c) nuclear energy
4. Compare and contrast fossils fuels and the Sun as direct sources of energy.
5. Compare and contrast bio-mass and hydro electricity as sources of energy.
6. What are the limitations of extracting energy from:
(a) the wind? (b) waves ? (c) tides ?
7. On what basis would you classify energy sources as
(a) renewable and non-renewable?
(b) exhaustible and inexhaustible?
Are the options given in (a) and (b) the same.
8. What are the qualities of an ideal source of energy?
9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a solar cooker? Are there places where solar cookers would have limited utility?
10. What are the environmental consequences of the increasing demand for energy?
What steps would you suggest to reduce energy consumption?
11. What is a good source of energy?
12. What is a good fuel?
13. If you could use any source of energy for heating your food, which one would you use and why?
14. What are the disadvantages of fossil fuels?
15. Why are we looking at alternate sources of energy?
16. How has the traditional use of wind and water energy been modified for our convenience?
17. What kind of mirror -concave or convex or plain -would be best suited for use in a
solar cooker? Why?
18. What are limitations of the energy that can be obtained from the oceans?
19. What is geothermal energy?
20. What are the advantages of nuclear energy?
21. Can any source of energy be pollution free? Why or why not?
22. Hydrogen has been used as rocket fuel; would you consider it a clear fuel than CNG? Why of why not?
23. Name two energy sources that you would consider to be renewable. Give reasons for your choices.
24. Give the names of two energy sources that you would consider to be exhaustible. Give reasons for your choices.