Carbon and its Compounds
1. Ethane, with the molecular formula C2H6 has
(a) 6 covalent bonds (b) 7 covalent bonds
(c) 8 covalent bonds (d ) 9 covalent bonds
2. Butanone is a four carbon compound with the functional group
(a) carboxylic acid (b) aldehyde
(c) ketone (d) alcohol
3. While cooking, if the bottom of the vessels is getting blackened on the outside, it means that
(a) The fuel is not cooked completely.
(b) The fuel is not burning completely.
(c) The fuel is wet.
(d) The is burning completely.
4. Explain the nature of the covalent bond using the bond formation in CH3Cl.
5. Draw the electron dot structure for
(a) Ethanoic acid (b) H2S
(c) Propanone (d) F2
6. What is a homologous series? Explain with an example.
7. How can ethanol and Ethanoic acid be differentiated on the basis of their physical and chemical properties?
8. Why does micelle formation take place when soap is added to water? Will a micelle be formed in other solvents such as ethanol also?
9. Why are carbon and its compounds used as fuels for most applications?
10. Explain the formation of scum when hard water is treated with soap.
11. What change will you observe if you test soap with litmus paper (red and blue)?
12. What is hydrogenation? What is its industrial application?
13. Which of the following hydrocarbons undergo addition reactions?
C2H6, C2H8, C3H6, C2H2 and CH4
14. Give a test that can be used to differentiate chemically between butter and cooking oil?
15. Explain in mechanism of the cleaning action of soap.
16. What would be the electron dot structure of carbon dioxide which has the formula of CO2?
17. What would be the electron dot structure of a molecule of sulphur which is made up of eight atoms of sulphur?
18. How many structural isomers can you draw for pentane?
19. What are two properties of carbon which lead to the huge number of carbon compounds we see around us?
20. What will be the formula and electron dot structure for cyclopentane?
21. Draw the structure for the following compounds:
(i) Ethanoic acid (ii) Bromopentane
(iii) Butane (iv) Hexanal
22. How would you name the following compounds?
23. Would you be able to check if water is hard by using a detergent?
24. People use a variety of methods to wash clothes. Usually after adding the soap, they beat the clothes on stone, or beat it with a paddle, scrub with a brush or the mixture is agitated in a washing machine. Why is agitation necessary to get clean clothes?