1. Find the ratio of the following:
(a) Speed of a cycle 15 km per hour to the speed of scooter 30 km per hour.
(b) 50 m to 10 km
(c) 50 paise to ₹ 5
2. Convert the following ratios to percentages:
3. 72% of 25 students are good in mathematics. How many are not good in mathematics?
4. A football team won 10 matches out of the total number of matches they played. If their win percentage was 40, then how many matches did they play in all?
5. If chameli has ₹ 600 left after spending 75% of her money, how much did she have in the beginning?
6. If 60% people in a city like cricket, 30% like football and remaining like other games, then what percent of the people like other games? If the total number of people are 50 lakh, find the exact number who like each type of game.
7. A man got 10% increase in his salary. If his new salary is ₹ 1,54,000, find his original salary.
8. On Sunday 845 people went to the Zoo. On Monday only 169 people went. What is the percent decrease in the people visiting the Zoo on Monday?
9. A shopkeeper buys 80 articles for ₹ 2,400 and sells them for a profit of 16%. Find the selling price of one article.
10. The cost of an article was ₹ 15,500, ₹ 450 were spent on its repairs. If it sold for a profit of 15%, find the selling price of the article.
11. A VCR and TV were bought for ₹ 8,000 each. The shopkeeper made a loss of 4% on the VCR and a profit of 8% on the TV. Find the gain or loss percent on the whole transaction.
12. During a sale, a shop offered a discount of 10% on the marked prices of all the items. What would a customer have to pay for a pair of jeans marked at ₹ 1450 and two shirts marked at ₹ 850 each?
13. A milkman sold two of his buffaloes for ₹ 20,000 each. On one he made a gain of 5% and on the other a loss of 10%. Find his overall gain or loss. (Hint: Find CP of each)
14. The price of a TV is ₹ 13,000. The sales tax charged on it is at the rate of 12%. Find the amount that Vinod will have to pay if he buys it.
15. Arun bought a pair of skates at a sale where the discount given was 20%. If the amount he pays is ₹ 1,600, find the marked price.
16. I purchased a hair-dryer for ₹ 5,400 including 8% VAT. Find the price before VAT was added.
17. Calculate the amount and compound interest on:
(d) ₹ 8,000 for 1 years at 9% per annum compounded half yearly. (You could the year by year calculation using S.I. formula to verify).
(e) ₹ 10,000 for 1 years at 8% per annum compounded half yearly.
18. Kamala borrowed ₹ 26,400 from a Bank to buy a scooter at a rate of 15% p.a. compounded yearly. What amount will she pay at the end of 2 years and 4 months to clear the loan?
19. Fabina borrows ₹ 12,500 per annum for 3 years at simple interest and Radha borrows the same amount for the same time period at 10% per annnum, compounded annually. Who pays more interest and by how much?
20. I borrows ₹ 12,000 from Jamshed at 6% per annum simple interest for 2 years. Had I borrowed this sum at 6% per annum compound interest, what extra amount would I have to pay?
21. Vasudevan invested ₹ 60,000 at an interest rate of 12% per annum compounded half yearly. What amount would he get:
(i) after 6 months?
(ii) after 1 year?
(i) compounded annually.
(ii) compounded half yearly.
23. Maria invested ₹ 8,000 in a business. She would be paid interest at 5% per annum compounded annually. Find:
(i) The amount credited against her name at the end of the second year.
(ii) The interest for the third year.
24. Find the amount and the compound interest on ₹ 10,000 for 1 years at 10% per annum, compounded half yearly.
Would this interest be more than the interest he would get if it was compounded annually?
26. The population of a place increased to 54,000 in 2003 at a rate of 5% per annum.
(i) Find the population in 2001.
(ii) What would be its population in 2005?
27. In a laboratory, the count of bacteria in a certain experiment was increasing at the rate of 2.5% per hour. Find the bacteria at the end of 2 hours if the count was initially 5,06,000.
28. A scooter was bought at ₹ 42,000. Its value depreciated at the rate of 8% per annum. Find its value after one year.