The All India PreMedical Test (AIPMT) is one of the exams conducted by CBSE for admission in various MBBS andamp; BDS colleges across India. At present, 15% of the total seats in all medical andamp; dental colleges run by the central andamp; state governments are reserved for candidates who qualify this exam. It is one among the tough entrance exams, held for professional courses in India.
PATTERN OF THE TEST: The 3 hour test consists of 180 objective type questions (MCQ’s) from physics, chemistry andamp; biology (zoology + botany), having 45 questions from each subject. Each question carries 4 marks, with a negative marking of 1.
As AIPMT is one of the tough entrance exams, it needs proper preparation strategies to pass it with flying colours.
- Plan your preparation. It is said that “one who fails to plan, plans to fail”. Planning is of utmost importance to crack any competitive exam. Make schedule for a week and study accordingly. Stick to your schedule. Complete the chapters mentioned in the schedule on time.Check your progress every week. If you follow your timetable strictly, you will see your entire syllabus covered in time for the exam.
- Know your strength andamp; weakness. List the chapters, concepts which you need more preparation, for which you need assistance and make sure you are get through it.
- Give equal importance to all 3 subjects. Excellence in 1 subject andamp; mediocre performance in rest, will affect your rank drastically.
- Study regularly for at least 4-5 hours every day. One of the mistakes we do very often is studying for 12-14 hours before exam andamp; not studying on normal days. This will surely not help you with your performance.
- Practise MCQs as much as possible. Theory is important for building conceptual knowledge but, practising MCQ’s is equally important to test your understanding and crack AIPMT.
- Follow NCERT books. All the questions appearing in AIPMT are based on the content in NCERT books. Remember that, NCERT is a Government body, which publishes textbooks based on national curriculum framework. Do refer some good books on the subject to get exposure to different types of questions and questions from past papers.
- Proper Guidance – You will surely need someone to clear your doubts andamp; build your concepts. So don’t hesitate in taking guidance from past students, teachers, parents and from fellow students appearing for the exam. But make sure, you ask right people, with right attitude and subject knowledge.
- Time Management: In solving questions, read the questions properly, answer those first in which you are very confident, don’t waste your time in solving lengthy andamp; tough questions in the beginning. Keep them at end. Remember that, time management in the exam hall is very important. If you fail here, all your efforts so far may go waste.
There are few strategies which helps you manage your time in exam hall and perform better. To learn those strategies and score well, do refer the article, How to excel at MCQ tests.
These are some of the tips from my experience. Do speak to those students, who have cleared AIPMT. Learn from their experience and inculcate good habits of them. Work hard and sincerely, with all your heart and soul, body and mind. Because, the harder you work, the luckier you get!!
Remember these words of Albert Einstein
“Genius is 1% talent and 99% hard work”